Copyright, Terms & Conditions
Copyright and limitations on use© 2007 Cengage Learning. All rights reserved. Republication, reproduction or redistribution of Cengage Learning content, including by framing or similar means, is prohibited without the prior written consent of Cengage Learning.
Disclaimer of Warranties and LiabilityThe Web sites include facts, views, opinions and recommendations of individuals and organizations that we have deemed may be of interest to you. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of, or otherwise endorse the views, opinions or recommendations of others.
Terms & Conditions of Trade
TERMS OF SALE AND SUPPLY
Cengage Learning EMEA Limited (CL) is anxious to provide the highest standards of customer service. No quotation given by CL shall constitute an offer to supply the goods. An order placed by the Customer, whether or not in response to a quotation, shall constitute an offer made to CL subject to the terms and conditions hereof. No terms or conditions put forward by the Customer, in the Customers’ order, in correspondence or elsewhere shall be binding on CL such conditions or stipulations are hereby excluded and extinguished.
CL, in these terms and conditions, acts on its own behalf and has also been appointed by certain Third Party publishers (using their imprints) as their agent for the supply of their goods.
SUPPLY AND RETURN
1.1 Notwithstanding delivery or passing of risk in the Goods, or any other provision of these conditions, title to the Goods shall remain with CL until the customer has paid to CL all sums owing on any accounts.
1.2 Until property in and title to the goods has passed to the Customer in accordance with Clause 1.1 above, the Customer shall so far as practicable keep the goods separate from other goods on its premises in such a way that they are clearly identifiable as the property of CL.
1.3 The Customer’s right of possession in the goods, and its authority to resell them shall automatically determine, without the need for notice, upon the occurrence in relation to the Customer of any of the following events:
(i) if the Customer is in default of any of its obligations hereunder, including but not limited to failure to make any payment when due: and
(ii) until title passes, the Customer shall not deal with or dispose of the Goods, other than for full value in its normal course of business. Any permission to deal with the Goods ceases immediately on the appointment of an administrative receiver, on the presentation of a winding-up or bankruptcy petition or of any application for the making of an administration order or interim order on the appointment of a liquidator, the giving of notice of any meeting to pass a winding-up resolution of any other act of insolvency.
1.4 Until title to the Goods passes, the Customer shall keep the Goods free from any lien charge or encumbrance and CL may at any time require the Goods to be returned to it by the Customer and at any time before the Goods are returned CL may retake possession of the Goods and enter any premises of the Customer (including locked and steadfast premises), if necessary by force or causing damage, for that purpose. Furthermore CL reserves the right to assign or otherwise transfer any of its rights under the above Clause to any third party it so desires. Retention of title by CL shall not affect its rights to sue for the price when due.
1.5 Until such time as property in the Goods passes to the Customer, the Customer shall hold the same as CL fiduciary agent and custodian and shall keep them separate from its property and from that of third parties and properly stored, protected and insured and identified as the property of CL. If the Customer shall sell or otherwise dispose of or process the Goods (or any part thereof) it shall receive and hold as trustee for CL the proceeds of such sale, disposal or process or other monies derived from or representing the Goods (or any part thereof) (including insurance proceeds) and shall keep such proceeds or other monies separate from any monies or property of the Customer and/or third parties, and shall as soon as possible after receiving the same pay such monies to CL or into a separate account in trust for CL.
2. Goods are despatched to Customers at the Customer’s expense and, for the avoidance of doubt, risk in the goods shall pass to the Customer on delivery to the address, carrier or representative of the Customer of which CL has previously been advised. Unless otherwise agreed in writing such charges as are incurred in effecting fulfilment of overseas orders may be invoiced at the same time or separately to the despatch of the goods.
3. Goods supplied will not be accepted for return unless returned in accordance with our published conditions for On Approval supply, Standing Order supply or Trade Customer Returns (copies of which are available on request) such published conditions forming part of the terms and conditions hereof or previously authorised by our representative in writing. Carriage and packing of goods returns is at the Customer’s expense and liability. Credit shall be given at the sole discretion of CL and if the goods are received at the CL warehouse in a mint resalable condition. Furthermore in no event shall the amount of credit given exceed the value of the order price of the goods, or part thereof.
CHARGING AND SELLING
4. CL reserves the right to change prices or to suspend service without prior notice. Unless otherwise indicated quotations are valid for 30 days from the date of quotation.
5. Invoices will be raised as quickly as possible and will be despatched with or separately to the goods. Publication dates for new publications are shown, if applicable, on our invoices and Customers are requested to respect them.
6. Our goods are sold subject to the condition that they shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be resold, hired out or otherwise circulated without prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which they were supplied.
7. The Customer hereby acknowledges that no rights to any copyright or intellectual property rights subsisting in the goods are granted to or are otherwise vested in the Customer.
8. Our terms are strictly net. No settlement discounts or other deductions may be made against amounts due on invoices. All prices are exclusive of VAT which shall be added at the rate in force at the time of despatch. The Customer shall be liable to pay (or if paid by Cengage Learning Services shall reimburse it in respect thereof) all taxes, duties and fees in connection with the supply of goods hereunder.
9. Payment for invoices is due as indicated on the invoice. Credit periods, indicated on the invoice, run from invoice date. Payment should be received prior to the expiry of the credit period.
10. All amounts due are payable in the currency shown on the invoice, by draft or cheque on a United Kingdom bank, or by transfer direct to CL's bank account, unless otherwise indicated on the invoice or agreed in writing.
11. Should you fail to pay according to these Terms of Service, this shall entitle us, without prejudice to our other rights and remedies, to (i) charge interest on a daily basis from the original due date at the rate of the lesser of 1.5% per month or the maximum amount permissible by law and/or (ii) suspend or terminate your Online Content subscription (if applicable) and/or access to the Service. You shall reimburse us for all reasonable costs incurred by us in collecting past due amounts, including wire transfer and other bank charges, collection agency fees, reasonable legal fees and court costs. We may charge a fee for reinstatement of suspended or terminated accounts.12. CL reserves the right to withhold further supplies in the event of amounts payable being overdue, breach of any of these conditions or for any other reason which at the discretion of CL warrants such action.
13. In the event of complete loss or non-delivery by our carriers, CL and their Carrier must be notified in writing as soon as possible or within 14 days of receipt of our invoice or statement whichever is the sooner. If no such notification is given within the time limit prescribed above the goods shall be deemed to have been delivered.
14. In the event of damaged goods, shortages, etc. in deliveries, CL and their Carrier must be notified in writing as soon as possible or within 14 days of receipt of our invoice or statement whichever is the sooner. If no such notification is given within the time limit prescribed above the goods shall be deemed to have been delivered. Furthermore the Customer shall not be entitled to reject the goods if it has used, including but not limited to reselling, them in any way.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
15.1 CL warrants that the goods shall at the time of delivery be free from defects in workmanship, materials and design. If any goods do not conform to such warranty CL shall at its sole option:
(i) replace the goods if in its opinion the goods do not conform to the warranty; or
(ii) take such steps as it deems necessary to bring the goods into a state where they are free from such defects; or
(iii) take back the goods found not to conform to the warranty and refund or credit to the Customer the appropriate part of the price.
Provided that in each of the above cases:
a) the Customer returns the defective goods promptly, postage prepaid to CL.
b) the liability of CL shall (except for reimbursement of reasonable postage expenses) in no event exceed the price paid by the Customer for the defective goods or part thereof.
Performance of any of the above options (as limited by (b) above) shall constitute an entire discharge of CL’s liability under the above warranty.
15.2 The Customer hereby acknowledges that no warranty is given as to the accuracy of any information drawings, photographs, illustrations or other material contained in the goods and Clause 15.3 shall apply in respect thereof.
15.3 SAVE AS PROVIDED ELSEWHERE HEREUNDER AND EXCEPT WHERE THE GOODS ARE SOLD TO A PERSON DEALING AS A CONSUMER (WITHIN THE MEANING OF THE UNFAIR CONTRACT TERMS ACT 1977) CL SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY TO THE CUSTOMER IN RESPECT OF ANY DEFECT IN THE GOODS OR OTHER BREACH OF CONTRACT OF WHATSOEVER NATURE OR OTHER DEFAULT OR NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF CL, ITS EMPLOYEES, SUB-CONTRACTORS OR AGENTS AND ALL CONDITIONS WARRANTIES OR OTHER TERMS, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, IN RELATION TO THE GOODS THEIR QUALITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED.
15.4 WITHOUT PREJUDICING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING CL SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO THE CUSTOMER HEREUNDER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE INCLUDING ANY LIABILITY FOR NEGLIGENCE, FOR ANY LOSS OF REVENUE, BUSINESS, ANTICIPATED SAVINGS OR PROFITS, OR FOR ANY INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS WHATSOEVER HOWSOEVER ARISING.
15.5 Where the Goods are sold under a consumer transaction (as defined by the Consumer Transaction (Restrictions on Statements) Order 1976) the statutory rights of the Customer are not affected by these terms and conditions hereof.
15.6 Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude or restrict CL’s liability for death or personal injury resulting from the negligence of CL or its employees while acting in the course of their employment.
16. CL shall not be liable to the Customer for any loss or damage which may be suffered by the Customer as a direct or indirect result of the supply of the services, the supply or use of any goods or the purpose of the contract for supply being directly or indirectly prevented, hindered or delayed by reason of any circumstances outside the reasonable control of CL including (without limitation) any act of God, war, riot, trade dispute or labour disturbance, accident, breakdown of machinery or plant, difficulty in obtaining work persons, materials or transport, refusal of any licence or permit.
17. Trade Terms: The Publishers may at their discretion grant trade terms including discounts to booksellers by prior arrangement.
18. The invalidity or unenforceability of any term or any right arising hereunder shall in no way affect the enforceability of the remaining rights and terms.
19. The failure of either party to enforce or to exercise at any time or for any period of time any term of or any right arising hereunder does not constitute and shall not be construed as a waiver of such term or right and shall in no way affect that party’s right later to enforce or exercise it.
20. All notices and other communications to be served on or given to either party shall be in writing and be delivered or transmitted to the intended recipients address as either party may notify to the other from time to time. Notices shall be deemed to be given three (3) days after posting by prepaid first class post, seven (7) days after posting if sent by prepaid registered airmail, one (1) working day after despatch if sent by courier, on delivery if hand delivered or on transmission if sent by telex or facsimile.
21. These Terms and Conditions and any Contract are governed by English law. Any dispute arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions shall be determined by the English Courts.