Using Reason Onstage 1e
ISBN-13: 9781598635638 / ISBN-10: 1598635638
Although many musicians use Reason to create music
in their home studios, its instruments and sequencer
are also extremely well-suited for live performance.
So how do you get your Reason tracks ready for the limelight?
For that matter, how do you get your Reason skills ready for
the stage? Do you need to preprogram all of it? Can you use
its instruments live without programming anything?
Using Reason Onstage: Skill Pack quickly shows any Reason
user, from the novice to the experienced, how to use Reason
4’s power for onstage performance. The book starts out by
providing valuable key commands that are helpful to know
during live performance, and then moves quickly on to controller
setups, song layout suggestions, and Combinator 2 tips and
tricks that will dramatically improve any musician’s onstage
performance. In addition to covering basic functions that make
live performance easier, this excellent book/CD package also
covers advanced concepts that allow the user to walk onstage
and compose on the fly! The accompanying CD includes presets
and templates that you’ll use to learn the concepts in the book.
This “learn by doing” approach ensures that you’ll never skip
a beat while jamming onstage.
- Provides the only book or tutorial specically focused on using Reason for live performance.
- Integrated CD lessons walk readers through Reason set-up, giving them immediately usable skills.
- Not only walks the reader through advanced performance tricks, but does so in such a way that readers will be coming up with their own
- Brings new concepts to the table for inspiration and songwriting thanks to its introduction of freestyle composition concepts.
- Teaches key commands, mapping techniques and template guides that will have musicians not only prepared for the road, but in command of
- Explains how the new Thor synthesizer, Combinator 2 and RPG-8 instruments in Reason 4.0 can add a whole new layer to performing live.
- Provides quick and easy excercises for both experienced live musicians, as well as novices interested in becoming freestyle laptop
Chapter 1: First Preparations: Are All Machines Created Equal?
Chapter 2: Setting Up: A Little Preparation Goes a Long Way.
Chapter 3: Controllers and Templates.
Chapter 4: Introduction to Combinators.
Chapter 5: Aroeggiators.
Chapter 6: Song Starters.
Chapter 7: ReWire Onstage.
G. W. Childs IV
G.W. Childs IV has not only published several books on Reason (Reason 7 Power, Going Pro with Reason), Ableton Live (Going Pro with Ableton Live) and sound design (Creating Music and Sound for Video Games), but he was also a sound designer on Reason itself. He’s also had a highly successful career in designing sounds for games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords, Star Wars: Battlefront, and more. As a remix artist he’s remixed major acts like Gene Loves Jezebel, Ray Charles, James Brown, and more.