Illustrated Course Guides 3e
ISBN-13: 9781337119283 / ISBN-10: 1337119288
Gain the professional communication skills you need for educational success and a career advantage with ILLUSTRATED COURSE GUIDES: VERBAL COMMUNICATION - SOFT SKILLS FOR A DIGITAL WORKPLACE, 3E. Part of the popular and helpful ILLUSTRATED SOFT SKILLS SERIES, this book makes it easy to learn the essential soft skills necessary to succeed in today’s competitive workplace. Timely information throughout this edition highlights the marketable communication skills required for today’s technological business world. This edition delves into the importance of effective, professional, and polite verbal communication -- from speaking with clients to everyday dialogue with colleagues.
Part I: UNDERSTANDING THE BASICS OF VERBAL COMMUNICATION.
1. Organizing Your Messages.
2. Using Vocal Elements Effectively.
3. Understanding Nonverbal Languages.
4. Developing Credibility.
5. Giving and Receiving Feedback.
6. Overcoming Barriers to Communication.
7. Communicating Ethically.
8. Understanding Cross-Cultural Issues.
Part II: WORKING WITH CUSTOMERS.
9. Understanding Customer Service Basics.
10. Communicating Empathetically.
11. Adding Questions to Understand Problems.
12. Denying Requests.
13. Coping with Angry Customers.
14. Dealing with the Unexpected.
15. Working with Customers with Disabilities.
Part III: DEVELOPING PROFESSIONAL TELEPHONE SKILLS.
16. Exploring Professional Telephone Communication.
17. Placing Telephone Calls.
18. Receiving Telephone Calls.
19. Using Voice Mail.
20. Leaving Professional Messages.
21. Taking Calls for Other People.
22. Screening, Holding, and Transferring Calls.
23. Developing Cell Phone Etiquette.
Part IV: IMPROVING INFORMAL COMMUNICATION.
24. Communicating Informally.
25. Listening Actively.
26. Speaking Persuasively.
27. Negotiating Effectively.
28. Managing Conflict.
29. Participating in Meetings.
30. Dealing with Office Politics.
31. Making Proper Introductions.
Part V: MAKING FORMAL PRESENTATIONS.
32. Planning Effective Presentations.
33. Developing Presentation Content.
34. Rehearsing a Presentation.
35. Delivering a Presentation.
36. Building Rapport.
37. Managing Anxiety.
38. Using Appropriate Visuals.
39. Managing Questions and Answers.
UPDATES ADDRESS TODAY’S MOST RELEVANT AND VALUABLE SOFT SKILLS WITH AN EMPHASIS ON VERBAL COMMUNICATION. All content prepares students for success in today’s workplace.
Dr. Jeff Butterfield holds a PhD from the University of Texas-Austin and an MBA from Indiana University, and currently is a faculty member in the Information Systems department at Western Kentucky University. Previously, Dr. Butterfield worked as an electronics engineer with several Fortune 500 companies. He quickly discovered that his writing and public-speaking abilities contributed much more to his professional success than his technical skills. This important discovery has significantly influenced his teaching and Dr. Butterfield has spent more than 15 years in higher education helping technical students develop professional skills. As technology becomes more tightly integrated with business functions, students with well-developed soft skills will enjoy a strong competitive advantage. Dr. Butterfield has worked with Cengage to develop the SOFT SKILLS FOR A DIGITAL WORKPLACE series. These titles are designed to complement any course you teach, regardless of the subject.