Using Microsoft® Excel® and Access 2016 for Accounting 5e
ISBN-13: 9781337109048 / ISBN-10: 1337109045
Learn how today’s businesses use spreadsheets and databases in accounting with USING EXCEL & ACCESS FOR ACCOUNTING 2016. This book’s step-by-step approach incorporates plenty of screenshots to clearly demonstrate how to use these tools most effectively to solve real accounting problems.
- ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND FIGURES HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO CORRESPOND TO MICROSOFT® OFFICE 2016: The new edition allows students to take advantage of the user-friendly design and features of Microsoft® Office 2016 to prepare them for what they will see in the workplace.
- STUDENT DEMONSTRATION VIDEOS HELP READERS VISUALIZE EXCEL AND ACCESS PROCESSES: These helpful videos, created by the text’s author, reinforce the book’s presentation of concepts. Icons in the margin throughout the book indicate when these videos are available. The videos include audio explanations with step-by- step illustrations of the business processes explained in the text. For your convenience, this videos are available on the companion website.
- GRADING RUBRICS ASSIST IN GRADING CASES AND ASSIGNMENTS: These helpful tools save you time in you grading cases within the end-of-chapter material as they link each case requirement and event to a specific student learning outcome. For your convenience these grading rubrics are available for download on the instructor companion web site at www.cengage.com/accounting/owen.
- THE DOCUMENTER FEATURE IN MICROSOFT® ACCESS ALLOWS STUDENTS TO PROVE THEY HAVE MADE IMPORTANT CONTROL CHANGES. Students are able to demonstrate their work with input masks, validation rules and default values. In addition, Excel’s grouping feature expands the student’s understanding of budget development.
- A CONTINUING CASE PROBLEM OFFERS REAL HANDS-ON BUSINESS EXPERIENCE WITH THE SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS: This continuing case appears within each chapter’s presentation to help students see the application of Excel and Access features and encourage actual working experience with the software.
- "TROUBLE?" PARAGRAPHS ANTICIPATE LIKELY QUESTIONS: This helpful feature guides readers in avoiding common errors and provides students with the information necessary to resolve typical problems and continue on.
- PROVEN STEP-BY-STEP FORMAT KEEPS STUDENTS ON TRACK: The author uses a clear, popular step-by-step approach with numerous support screen shots that make explanations easy to follow.
1. Excel Tour.
2. Excel Basics.
3. Financial Statement Analysis.
5. Loan and Bond Amortization.
6. Cash Budgeting.
7. Other Topics: Present/Future Values, Predicting Costs, & Allowance for Uncollectable Accounts.
8. Access Tour.
9. Access Basics.
- NEW SECTION NOW HIGHLIGHTS PARTIAL YEAR DEPRECIATION. Students gain a solid understanding of this important aspect of accounting as they master software skills.
- ALL END-OF-CHAPTER ASSIGNMENTS NOW INCLUDE NEW PROBLEM VALUES: With this change you are able to confidently offer homework and assignments that vary from previous editions.
- UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS AND FIGURES CORRESPOND TO THE LATEST MICROSOFT® OFFICE 2016. The new edition allows your students to take advantage of the user-friendly design and features of Microsoft Office 2013 to prepare them for what they will see in the workplace.
- ALL UPDATES REFLECT THE LATEST ADDITIONS AND CHANGES WITHIN THE NEWEST VERSIONS OF EXCEL AND ACCESS: Carefully developed step-by-step descriptions and fresh cases clearly detail the latest improvements in Excel 2016 and Access 2016.
Glenn Owen, BA, CPA, recently retired from Allan Hancock College’s Accounting and Business faculty, where he lectured on accounting and information systems for 21 years. In addition, he is a retired lecturer at the University of California at Santa Barbara, where he taught accounting and information systems courses from 1980 to 2011. His professional experience includes five years at Deloitte & Touche as well as vice president of finance positions at Westpac Resources, Inc. and Expertelligence, Inc. An acclaimed and well-respected author, Mr. Owen is well known for his QuickBooks® texts, which offer self-paced case-based instruction on the use of this commercial accounting application. His innovative teaching style emphasizes the decision maker’s perspective and encourages students to think creatively. His graduate studies in educational psychology and his 40 years of business experience yield a balanced blend of theory and practice that permeates and strengthens all of his books.