TheSky™ Student Edition CD-ROM with TheSky™ Workbook 1e
ISBN-13: 9780534390723 / ISBN-10: 0534390722
In this workbook, you’ll find examples, exercises, and in-depth explanations of astronomical topics found in TheSky™ Student Edition planetarium software. Topics include the different types of sky coordinates, motions of the earth and planetary objects, naming conventions and locations of astronomical bodies, lunar phases, solar and lunar eclipses, and sidereal time. The workbook also contains detailed instructions for using the software.
- Offers an excellent and fun way to learn about the coordinate systems used in observational astronomy.
- Gives special attention, using numerous figures showing actual screens from TheSky CD-ROM, on how to make use of the software. Numerous examples, exercises, and multimedia sky windows are included. Students with even minimal computer experience should quickly feel at ease in working with the software.
- Discusses in depth, with step-by-step associated exercises, both the short-term and long-term motions of Earth and their effects on the positions of objects in the sky.
- Guides students through means of exercises and questions on the ways in which astronomical objects are named, catalogued, and found.
- Integrates several specially prepared multimedia windows in TheSky to illustrate more clearly important observed phenomena. The motions of the Sun, Moon, and the planets are just a few examples of interesting windows that can be opened and viewed.
- Devotes a full chapter to time and seasons, interactively illustrating how one’s location on Earth affects the observed-time of astronomical events in the sky.
- Provides exercises centered around TheSky’s powerful lunar phase and eclipse tools that allow students to estimate the moon’s orbital position from observing its appearance in the sky and to search for and observe eclipses.
2. Getting Acquainted with the Toolbars and Shortcuts in TheSky.
3. Setting Your Location and Time in the TheSky.
4. Naming Objects in TheSky.
5. Locating Celestial Objects in TheSky.
6. Motions in TheSky.
7. Keeping Time in TheSky.
8. Seasons in TheSky.
9. Phases and Eclipses in TheSky.
The Bright Stars in TheSky. The Constellation Names and Abbreviations in TheSky. The Greek Alphabet. The Messier Catalogue. Using Preferences and Filters and Other Sub-menus in TheSky. Stellar Magnitudes in TheSky.