The Qualitative Research Experience, Revised Printing 1e
ISBN-13: 9780534272548 / ISBN-10: 0534272541
The book represents the 'lived experience' of doing qualitative research. It addresses the needs of students as well as experienced quantitative researchers who seek instruction in, and exemplars of, qualitative methods. Though the contributions to this book represent diverse voices, a common purpose unites them--a desire to bolster the supportive structures and methodological rigor of qualitative studies.
Introduction. Finding A Middle Ground in Qualitative Research.
Part One: EXEMPLARS.
1. "Grounded Theory," Julianne S. Oktay.
A. Experiences of Women Whose Mothers Had Breast Cancer. B. Juggling many Roles: Doing a Grounded Theory Project.
2. "Narrative Analysis," Roberta G. Sands.
A. When A Daughter is "Reborn": A Cross-National Mother-Daughter Study. B. Personal Reflections on Narratives and Knowing.
3. "Ethnography," Jerry Floersch.
A. Case Managers and Invented Clinical Knowledge. B. Practice Ethnography: On Becoming a Practitioner-Researcher.
4. "Case Study," James W. Drisko.
A. The Voice of the Consumer in Intensive Family Preservation Programs. B. Doing Qualitative Case Study Research.
5. "Mixed Methods," Deborah Gioia.
A. The Meaning of Work for Young Adults with Schizophrenia. B. A Process Essay: The Path of a Doctoral Student.
6. "Program Evaluation," Amy Barr.
A. Qualitative Evaluation of a Supported Housing Program for Homeless Persons with Severe Mental Illness. B. The Angels are Breaking Their Wings.
Part Two: METHODOLOGICAL ISSUES--NEW AND OLD.
Introduction to Part Two.
7. "Analyzing Qualitative Data in a Cross-Language Context: A Collaborative Model," Tazuko Shibusawa and Ellen Lukens.
8. "Using Computer Software," James W. Drisko.
9. "The Role of the Mentoring Relationship: A Dialogue," R. Dennis Shelby and Ida Roldan.
10. "Peer Debriefing and Support Groups," Deborah K. Padgett, Reji Mathew and Susan Conte.
11. "Ethical Issues in Qualitative Research With High-Risk Populations: Handle with Care," Deborah Waldrop.
12. "''''Doing'''' Narrative Analysis," Margareta Hyden and Carolina Overlien.
13. "Mixed Methods, Serendipity, and Concatenation," Deborah K. Padgett.
14. "Spreading the Word: Writing and Disseminating Qualitative Studies," Deborah K. Padgett.
15. "Coming of Age: Theoretical Thinking, Social Responsibility, and a Global Perspective in Qualitative Research," Deborah K. Padgett.
Appendix: "A Few Observations for Students," Deborah K. Padgett.
"I think this is an excellent manuscript; I am particularly impressed with the following:
...Very reader friendly using excellent conversational tone (which seems so appropriate for a text on qualitative methods!)...This text is a marvelous addition to the field of qualitative research. Written for both students and faculty, this text can transcend disciplinary fields by offering a practical, informative and scholarly approach to any professional who wishes to embrace qualitative research methods...This book is replete with poignant case examples and contemporary topics."
"Thank you for the opportunity to review THE QUALITATIVE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE. I am sincerely appreciative because it is truly an excellent text! ...It is...well-written, well-organized, thoughtful, insightful, and practical...The main strength is that the text shows rather than merely tells. "
"I would describe this book to a colleague as an excellent introduction to qualitative research methods- - a book that goes beyond just describing the method to providing direct examples and commentary on the examples. It provides a perspective not often found on the process of doing qualitative research."
Deborah K. Padgett
Deborah K. Padgett, Ph.D., MPH, is a professor at the New York University School of Social Work. She received her doctorate in urban anthropology in 1979 and completed post-doctoral programs in mental health services research at Columbia University School of Public Health (1985-86) and Duke University Department of Psychiatry (1994-95). Dr. Padgett's research interests include breast cancer screening and follow-up care for medically underserved women and qualitative studies of the 'process' of care for psychiatrically disabled homeless adults.